Friday, September 30, 2011

Buone Notizie!

most people don't like pigeons.  i do.
Good news on all fronts everyone!

Things are moving forward with the job progress & I am molto felice about it!  I still won't be starting work until November but...  there has been a change of plan, hopefully for the better!  As you may know I use specialized Xray equipment for my chiropractic technique & turns out I will be able to use a machine that is already here in Rome.  At the Vatican with il Papa (the Pope)!!  Just kidding but, just outside the walls of Vatican City.

So, I will use this machine & have my office in that location in city center.  It will be at a big physiotherapy center, which is better than the cardiovascular & diagnostic clinic it was going to be in.  It was turning out that the other location actually wasn't going to be ready for a couple more months so, this option is better.  So many changes, right????  I have been doing my best to roll with the punches, I realized that I had a lot of expectations for this experience & it has been less stressful to try to be more open to change.  Ch-ch-ch-changes.  (David Bowie)

All I can say is... things happen differently here in Italy.

Trastevere neighborhood

In other progress....  I found a place to move & will be relocating into the city this weekend!  I'll be living in the Trastevere (means literally, across the Tiber) area.  It is a very old part of town with small streets and charming buildings, trattorias, churches, etc.  It is also a very hip part of town with many stranieri (foreigners) having moved in & lots of more artsy, bohemian, liberal culture.  It is where I was hoping to live so I am very excited!  Not as close to the future office as I might have liked but, I could walk there in maybe 40 minutes or I can take a tram closer or I can walk 10 minutes to the metro station which will drop me off very close.  OR, if I am bold I can get a motorino (scooter) or if I am crazy I can ride a bicicleta!
Trastevere scene

I will be moving into a flat with a real nice Roman lady!  I am happy for this because I won't be lonely & also we can speak Italian.  She works in something to do with international trade & is happy to have me moving in because then she can practice her English.  It's perfetto!  We are on the 4th floor & I'll have a nice big view of a lovely, green courtyard.  Overall my housing search was leading me to a bunch of crapholes.  I was so relieved to find this nice apt. & nice woman!

more of the quaint Trastevere

Other good news...  I had the best gelato yet today!  3 flavors, cannela (cinnamon), pistaccio & tiramisu. Having just ice cream for lunch is ok, isn't it?  It's the Italy diet :)

Also, my first language class session ends tomorrow with a final exam.  Wish me buona fortunata!  Next week I will start "elementario" level & also some more conversation classes.  I am becoming more  used to speaking & am feeling less apprehensive about it.

There are still some museums to see!  The other day I went to check out the Capitoline Museums, on a famous hill in Roma.  The Capitoline has been an important spot for ages, some of the very first temples were built here & it has continued to be a significant spot throughout history.  The Capitoline Musei houses, of course, a fine collection of classical art!  I still haven't had enough of this stuff.  I continue to be fascinated by ancient marble carvings.  I would like to share my experience with you!



There is a long, marble staircase leading up to the capitoline that was designed by, my favorite..., Michelangelo!  At the top is la Chiesa di Santa Maria Maggiore, just another inspiring church.  The capitoline plaza was also done by M. Buonarotti.

word has it the penitent used to climb these stairs on their knees!

Capitoline Piazza


massive pieces of a sculpture of Constantine

Brutus, betrayer of Caesar.  Look at that intense gaze!

boy with a thorn
with the infamous she-wolf!

Bernini's medusa, she's a meanie but, she is tortured by it!

bronze bust of Michelangelo

view of some cupolas

another oversized Constantine

overlooking the forum @ tramonte (sunset)

I will post again real soon to show you my new place! buon fine settimana a tutti! xo




No comments:

Post a Comment