Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Mia casa!


A special mug came to Italy with me to remind me of my friends back home! 

In the bar (coffeeshop.  what we think of as a bar is called a pub) the closest thing you can get to an americano style coffee is a "caffe lungho".  This is still pretty small & entails just taking an extra long pull on the espresso shot, so it really just gets all watery.  What I like to get is a caffe macchiato, which is just an espresso shot with about half an inch of steamed milk (just to take the edge off).  Once I made the mistake to get a latte macchiato, this ended up to be just a glass of steamed milk with a very slight touch of coffee.  (I think this is what Italians think a Starbucks latte is like).  If you order a latte, watch out, you will get only milk.

At lunchtime @ the bar it is fun to get a panini & a campari to feel super Italian.  You literally order & just stand at the bar & wolf your food down.  I've never liked to eat fast, I'm no good at it.  When I've gone for a snack with people, they eat in about two minutes and are just staring at me, ready to go.  Here you go to a trattoria or a ristorante if you want a long, drawn out, sit down meal.  Also at the bar, you can get a caffe correto, this is an espresso with a shot of brandy or grappa in it, just to take the edge off the caffiene.

 I wanted to share a couple shots of my new place.  Nothing fancy but, nice & I'm really happy so far!  It is 5 minutes walking to a ton of restaurants, shops, pubs.  10 minutes to the river.  15-20 minutes right into the very epicenter of town.  There is a little tram that stops just down the block.  It's great!
cute little kitchen

light filled living zone.  nice but, not super homey because my flatmate has only lived there a few months.

view from my bedroom.  it is nice to see all these trees because Roma is really urban.  That is a courtyard down there & a not so busy street.

clothes dryer, Italy style.  it works really well actually, no need for an energy wasting tumble dryer.


I tracked down an Italian yoga class & it was... just ok.  If I don't find something better or more convenient I imagine I will just stick to doing my own yoga practice.  Which always takes a bit of determination.  I walked to the studio the other day, about 3 miles because there was no convenient transport (at least that I had figured out).  Not too convenient.  I have been in touch with a few people locally about possibly teaching a class in English (me teaching it).  Hopefully that will work out, I think it would be fun!  

Here are some other Rome photos:

this bambina was chasing the pigeons & it was oh so cute!

fiori for sale!


these little mobile trucks go around selling flowers too.  you can't really get the scale on this but, it is a very tiny truck!

ha ha, a note left on a car parked on the sidewalk.  can you guess what that means?  :)
Take care everyone!  I'm planning a weekend trip out of the city to either Orvieto or Napoli & will come back with a good story or two.  xoxo

1 comment:

  1. Hey! So happy to hear you got your own place. And super convenient - close to so much! It looks adorable! We're getting close to booking our trip to Italy and I will have to let you know for sure what dates we'll be in Rome. It'll be so fun if we can see eachother! How exciting about your new job starting in Nov. That's not too far away! I can't wait to read about it. I miss you!

    ReplyDelete