Sunday, November 13, 2011

The End of an Era!

Arrividerci Silvio!  Italy's long time P.M. Silvio Berlusconi resigned yesterday after a long career in politics, media & scandal!  I was downtown last night & it was a complete mob scene!  All the Italians that I know are really pleased about this change and looking forward to some new leadership, most likely with Mario Monti, a straightlaced economist.


I never claim to know very much at all about politics but it has been of interest to me since being in Roma because big changes are happening and it is exciting.  Also, Silvio's palace is very near to where I live & I walk by it most days on the way to class.  There are usually several tv crews lingering about there.  I was hoping if I lingered about I'd get invited to an infamous bunga bunga party but, I think I'm too old for Mr. Berlusconi.  HA!  KIDDING!!!!!

Really though, the guy has a bad rep for getting in trouble with the young ladies, making off color remarks & generally being corrupt.  He has been the wealthiest European politician around, having made a load off owning nearly all the media in the country while the economy in Italia has been going down the tubes & debt has risen catastrophically.  

I'm pretty sure Monti will be stepping in & people are happy, he has about the complete opposite of Silvio in terms of public image.  It seems like the public might be happy with just about anyone else at this point.  People were lighting off fireworks & celebrating well into the night last night.  

Kind of sad that it takes some sensation & publicity to get me interested in politics...    I have found the situation here so interesting though...  S. Berlusconi is about 75 & still has this wild rep!  He looks like a tanned marionette!  Anyway....  I'm sure you can read about it all in the news.  (hey, at least I'm not reading the People or USweekly anymore)  (i really only looked at the pictures anyway)  (serious!!)

ciao! xo


No comments:

Post a Comment