Monday, January 23, 2012

Siena!

Ciao tutti!

Sorry my friends, it's been a little bit.  I had an internet problem.  I got a new internet "key"/modem device that seems to be faster than the last.  I was even able to have some partial skype conversations.  I thought I had gotten the super awesome connection device this time but, turns out it is just partially awesome.  Oh well.

Well!  I must catch you all up on some events!  Here you can see a trip to the lovely Siena!  Siena is in Tuscany about a 1.5h bus ride from Firenze.  The historical center is designated a UNESCO world heritage site.  How many of those things ARE there in Italy?  A billion.  Just to start off, here is my favorite thing in Siena....  Panforte!  It is a dense spice cake made with nuts & dried fruits.  Very chewy & yummy!  It comes in various flavors ranging from fig/walnut to chocolate/hazelnut, etc, etc.  I love these types of treats.  Some may know about my affection for energy bars, seed bars, fruit logs, etc.  I think this stuff was developed ages ago for soldiers to combat hunger during the crusades.  

panforte!
I still haven't been able to find any of this stuff in Roma.  May have to start making it!  Like a lara bar but, tastier!
 A major claim to fame in Siena is the famous Palio!  The palio is a horse race that occurs twice a year in this main piazza in town.  Piazza del Campo is huge, slightly sloping, with a nearly round shape.  During the palio dirt is carted in to form a track around the edge of the piazza & walls of the surrounding buildings are padded with straw & such to create a race track.  Each neighborhood around Siena (about 10?) enter a horse & rider in the race & each has it's own coat of arms & pennant flag waving.  No saddles are worn!  All the spectators cram in the center of the piazza & also onto narrow balconies ringing the square.  They do several laps, the crowd goes wild & it sounds crazy!

the Palazzo Pubblico in the Piazza del Campo!

people actually just lounge out here like @ the beach!  good people watching.
 We hoped to climb that bell tower @ the Palazzo but, typical... we arrived about 5 minutes after it closed.  You've really gotta time things right here in Italy.  Many things close during the middle of the day, close early, close on certain days... you never know.

Siena was of Roman origin & the symbol of the town is the good old she wolf suckling Romulus & Remus.  It was cute to watch these pigeons tip toe down the wolf's nose to get a sip of water.  So dainty.  

Colorful fruits!  On display for tourists, not sure if these were all local & likely not in season.  Pretty though!
 The Duomo of Siena was absolutely spectacular, I can honestly say that I think it is my favorite Duomo!  And believe me, I have seen a lot at this point!  The outside is fairly standard for a gothic Italian duomo, very ornate & fabulous.  Just wait until you see the inside!
shoot!  should have arrived slightly early to snap a sunny shot of the duom.
 First, however, we scale up a neighboring rampart to get a sweet view of the town.  Here you can see the Piazza del Campo.  Also, a bit of trivia for you...  Can you think back to your box of crayolas growing up to picture the color burnt siena?  Well, get this, it was named after these brown rooftops in Siena Italy!  From up top here all you see is a sea of burnt siena rooftops, it's nice.


just imagine that piazza down there jammed with people & a horse race!
wow!  there you go!  had to find a photo on the interweb to show you.  


why am I always making this face?  

burnt siena sunset...
 Now we go into the Duomo!  What is different about it, that I really liked was the color scheme.  It was all black, navy blue, white and gold as you can see.  I found it unique & very beautiful.  The floors have impressively intricate mosaics & the ceiling & dome are just stunning.


WOW!

I think that the sacristy zone was my favorite, the walls are painted with a series of exceptional panels by Ghirlandiao but, what I liked the best of all was the ceiling.  It was so vibrantly colored & intricately designed.  Then there was this sculpture of the three muses in the center.  It was a really beautiful moment to be in there.  I think it is usually full of people but here we were in the early evening with the place to ourselves.


 Italy really does up the Christmas/winter street decorations right.  In every town you will find something cute strung up in the narrow streets.  It is magical & classy rather than overdone & tacky as you might find in some suburban neighborhoods in the US.

like this one, isn't that pretty?
Hope you enjoyed!  I'm going to try to blast off another blog entry real quick to catch up.  I had a wonderful trip down to the Amalfi Coast this past weekend that I am dying to share with you.  I needed to get out of the city & it was awesome to be out at the ocean.  At some points it was warm enough to have short sleeves on....  in anticipation of spring & summer!  However, today in Rome it was gloomy & gray all day.

I've been thinking about how much I miss bragg's liquid aminos, that mochi that comes in a big block & you bake in the oven, kombucha (gingerberry flavor), the occasional burrito...  Also awesome yoga classes, really missing those right now!  I have been doing a ton of reading.  I loved the Blind Assassin by Margaret Atwood and Extremely Loud & Incredibly Close by Jonathan Safran Foer.  I also really enjoyed The Help & am currently almost finished with One Day.

And, that's it for now.  I hope that you are well!!  I know Seattle has been getting some snow which is always a bit special.
xx

No comments:

Post a Comment