Monday, August 13, 2012

Cruising through Croatia on the way back to Italy.


Ciao tutti!

Oh no!  My blog postings are out of order!  I wanted to share this one before it is too late because...  it is worth sharing!  My travel time through the coastal islands of Croatia making my way back to Italy.  From Dubrovnik I had taken a 13 hour ferry which I had imagined to be some type of pleasure cruise.  It was anything but!  While the scenery was gorgeous, the conditions were crowded, uncomfortable and hot, as hell.  Since this is all in the past I can look back at it as a lovely time :)

what it was looking like most of the time

also like this

or this, the lovely island of Korcula.  i had thought i'd have the chance to pop off the boat in our 4 ports to explore for a moment or go for a swim but, no luck.  the best i was able to do was jump off one time for provisions.  


provisions, Anni style.  the yogurt here (which is super popular and yum) is all in bottles, to drink.  i have gotten used to this but, still manage to pour it on fruit for brekkie.

possibly a more important provision, a refreshing brew.  i was really missing a nice weiss beer (or really anything other than a simple lager).  

here is the scene on the boat.  some were smart & brought a travel hammock.  

space was really of the essence because some people are taking this boat overnight up to north croatia.

one spot was absolutely overrun with windsurfers & kiteboarders.

it's a wonder they don't crash into eachother!

my destination.... Split, Croatia!


a fabulous laundry array

outdoor dining & chilling





i was inspired by seeing some old roman arches & columns...  missing my Roma


in some underground crypt

ladies are selling lavender bundles

men are selling small pictures under an old sphinx

some tourists (probably german :) are wearing completely orange outfits!!!



they do a lot of aqua culture of mussels & sea bass, etc
And then!!!  My re-entry to Italia.  I was really thrilled to be going back, was super missing speaking Italian & the people, Italy in general!  I took a 6 hour boat trip across the Adriatic, during which I slept on an absolutely lovely couch & made friend with some people with 2 nice dogs.  Then, presto!  I was back in Italy, to the port city of Ancona.  I was concerned about border control issues & such but the man checking my passport didn't even look at me or my passport, really as he stamped it & continued talking to someone else.  Oh, Italy.  I missed you.  I wandered around town for a few hours, had a pizza as a reimmersion technique & then later borded a night train to Milan.  Oh, why do I torture myself with  transportation sometimes to save a few euro??  I imagined the train would not be full & I'd be able to stretch out & sleep.  On the contrary, the thing was absolutely full & I had to sit in the small middle seat with my head rolling around on my neck through the night.  Have mercy on the budget traveler!!!

in Ancona






cathedral of Ancona perched upon a hill



main piazza, Ancona
Interestingly, I will be back in Ancona shortly, on the 20th to begin working at a winery, harvesting grapes!!  Fun!
stazione centrale in milano is pretty grand!

Milan train station, 7am

and here I arrive to my cute village of Perledo where I look out the window of my room to see this magical kiwi.
Great!  And so, I have been enjoying my time on Lake Como & getting prepped to leave in a couple days.  I have about 5 days of undecided travel ahead.  I am thinking of doing a 3 day hike to Switzerland staying at some mountain rifugios on the way.  The deciding factor may be my left big toe, which may be broken but is responding well to athletic tape wrapping.  I have never been to Switzerland so, why not go?  It is really close.

One other thing, I went bouldering with the young son of the family I am staying with a couple times & it was AWESOME!!!  A total highlight!  While I have not been climbing or bouldering in maybe 8 years I was still able to pull out some techniques and methods :)  We were doing a traverse right on the lake so when you fall or, like me... your arms/hands can't grasp, you fall about 5 meters into the lake!  AWESOME again!  Wow, it was fantastic.  My forearms have been sore ever since.

Tomorrow will be my last day of work here & I hope to harvest everything available.
More soon!  Sending you my love!
xoxo

1 comment:

  1. I bet you're so excited to be back in Italy again! You went bouldering - what an experience!! Sorry to hear about your toe! I really hope that doesn't prevent you from going to Switzerland. I hope your eye is doing ok!!

    ReplyDelete