Saturday, March 31, 2012

Arrivederci Roma!

Ciao tutti!!


I've made it to Palermo, Sicilia!  I took an overnight ferry from Civitavecchia, a port just north of Roma.  It was... interesting!  The boat was huge!  You can either pick to sleep "on deck", in a poltrona (recliner) or in a cabin.  Me being a cheapskate, I pick the recliner.  It wasn't too bad, lounging around watching some Italian variety shows & then getting a bit of sleep with an eye mask on.  There were loads of people just sleeping all over in the hallways & on the floors... interesting.

I got into Palermo @ 7am & made my way to my B&B.  It's a cutie & I spent all day walking around town looking at churches, etc.  My favorite activities.  I'm planning to go to the beach tomorrow!!!

I was sad leaving Rome & had some tearful goodbyes with various people.  I left my big huge luggage @ a friend's house to retrieve in June.  Wow, I've acquired some stuff!  I could barely cram my suitcases shut.  I foresee a possible problem with overweight baggage...  hopefully not.  Also, last week I got to see my pal Reanna & her friend Jackie as they passed through Rome on their way down to Naples.  We did a mini tour around Stazione Termini & had, of course, a pizza.

I'll start my first farming gig on the 5th or 6th, here is a link to the spot if you are interested:

Marisco, farm near Palermo

Here are some photos taken in & around Roma over the past few weeks!

Oh no, I don't have any idea why these photos popped in TOO LARGE!  I will try to fix it but right now I have to go get a pizza because I am starving to death.  Sorry for the largeness!  (FIXED IT)!

My friend from HIGH SCHOOL!!!  Jasmin was visiting Italy with her husband Dan.  So fun to see you Jazzy!! 
Marisco

spanish steps

il colloseo, always a crowd pleaser!

I thought this was cool, how the colloseum looked back in the day.  

this place was HUGE!

by night!


out @ Ostia Antica with Kelly on her last day in Roma.  

lounging out at the old Roman baths...

visiting St. Paul's Cathedral.  It has been on my Rome "hit list" for a while

the dude on the left is some type of demon with horns, tail, dragon wings, claws.  whoa!


this basilica is a holding of the Vatican

it is second in size only to St. Peters

it was massive!



the courtyard was so peaceful & beautiful

the attached choistro (cloister)

a display of religious relics & artifacts.  what this means is fragments of bones encased in fancy ways.  

My friend Diana & I went to Viterbo for the day.  It is a true medieval gem!  We hopped a train about 2 hours north, the ride through the countryside was lovely.

i love old clock towers



We went into some government palace & were given a private tour by a cute little old man, in Italian.  He led us through one room where some local officials were giving a press conference!  It was funny, we just strolled on through & they kept on rolling.



really old carraige

the symbol of Viterbo... the lion!

Viterbo is a sleepy town.  Everything literally shut down from about 12 to 3, it was sort of boring!  In Rome everything stays open to serve the herds of tourists (by the way the tourists are REALLY moving in on Rome, tis the season!).
colorful church!

kind of a creepy door knocker

fancy sweet parlor



so Medieval in the "San Pellegrino" area of town


gothic arches

there's Diana!  hanging out by the cathedral


Wow!   That was more photos than I imagined.  Seems that I have been slacking on my blog posting!  I'll get another one out with some more interesting Sicily stuff soon!  

Enjoy your weekend!!! 
xoxo

1 comment:

  1. I miss you Anni! It was so great to spend some time with you in Rome. Loved the pics! I can't wait to hear about Sicily and to see the pictures you take!

    ReplyDelete