Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Mt. Etna & Tropea!


Ciao amici miei!  

Bad news, nearly the worst!  I have lost the cable that connects my camera to the computer for downloading photos!!!  My most prized possession!  I seem to have left it in the small convent that I stayed at for a couple of days.  I have ransacked all my belongings for it, now I must call the extremely small and kind nun I stayed with to see if she's found it!  So, unfortunately, I will be unable to share photos with you for some unknown period.  The horror!!  Ha ha.  I hope figure something out but, it is likely that I'll be S.O.L. for photo sharing until I return to Rome in June.  Boo!

In better news, the foot problem I've been having... while not 100% is better, about 80%.  Thanks to you all who have lent your kind & wise opinions.  I have narrowed the issue down to a tightness of the tibialis anterior muscle as well as an inability to walk forward into the grandness of my life.  I kid, I kid.  But seriously,  recently I have been doing some serious soul searching about life.  In a good way, I have been really happy lately!

I arrived yesterday to my wwoofing farm assignment in Puglia, the very heel of Italy!  I haven't seen too much of the area but let me tell you, it is beautiful & full of olive trees!  Huge ones!  I walked through the olive trees just before sunset last night feeling totally blissed out, I am in love with Italy!  So, the place I am staying is just gorgeous.  It is an olive farm & agritourismo & I have a whole apartment to myself in this renovated old cassera, traditional puglian country house.  I'd love to show you pictures but... you'll have to wait on the edge of your seat.  I spent the day today blissfully weeding a stone driveway/yard, it was great!  Tonight we are having a huge wind storm & there is talk of rain tomorrow.  We are 2km from the sea & I tried to walk there tonight but darkness & my foot condition prevented my success.  

Here are photos of my Mt. Etna mission as well as my lovely stay on the beach of Tropea in Calabria.  
it is possible to take a gondola up most of the way but... when you like to hike, why not hoof it all the way as Erica & I did!  We happily chatted the whole way up :)

if you are unfamiliar with the "buff" and it's virtues please go to your nearest REI for purchase.  

did anyone see that Werner Herzog movie about Antarctica?  On Etna they have antarctica style vehicles cruising up & down the volcano.

just starting out

i always wish that i could enjoy me some mountain biking...  these dudes are hardcore

we made some young foreign friends on the mission

yeah baby!  this is as close as we were allowed to get to the top.  i was ok with this considering Etna had erupted just a week prior.  

please note, all these people had taken the gondola & then a van up here.  we walked!



pretty crater views

the favorite dancer pose :)  we didn't have a clear day but, at times the clouds would part for a stunning glimpse of the crater.

and it is also possible to stage a primordial climbing out of the steaming crater shot

oh these young Albanian tourists & their jeans & blue shoes...
we descended into this amazing red crater!

and our young friends were busy horsing around, breaking rocks & whatnot

I had carefully ported some special sicilian birthday canoli up for Erica's special day!!

as well as a tiny prosecco :)


and these two were kind enough to haul their screaming baby up the volcano.  He/she must be loving it!!
And then,  I took my bus, ferry, train, bus, train to get to the gorgeous Calabrian beach of Tropea.  I was exhausted from my travel & it was all I could do to lie on the beach for several hours.  The water was a little warmer here & made for a fantastic, cerulean swim!
this view was from the convent I stayed at.  Convent- perfect for me!

what is this thing?  through my marine bio studies I'm sure I used to know...

view from the beach!

footsteps in the sand....


working on my foot tan & my foot photos






ha ha, dept. of mental health
If you are interested here is a link to the website for the place I'll be at for the next couple of weeks.  I may do a photo free (cannot imagine!!!) blog while here in case there are some interesting happenings.

Bellolio in Puglia

and that's all she wrote!  I miss you & wish you were here!
xoxox

No comments:

Post a Comment