Wednesday, May 23, 2012

An Olive Farm in Puglia!

Ciao tutti!

Here it is...  the blog posting with no photos!  As explained previously, I lost my precious camera connector cord!  Tragedy!  I've searched my luggage any number of times & it just can't be found.  (maybe just one more search will find it...)

Anyway, I have been having a decent time on my olive farm experience.  I was here as the only volunteer for about a week and yesterday my WOOFER pal arrived, yay!!  A friend!!  I had been really bored.  I brought two books, Last Man in Tower by Aravind Adiga (just ok) and The Year of the Flood by Margaret Atwood (REALLY good!!) and seem to have read them both in about 4 days.  My hosts here live up in their own isolated home so, I have really been on my own with plenty of time for reading.  The only book I was able to find here to read is something called "Homicide" about a Baltimore P.D. homicide unit, it was the basis for the TV show, The Wire.  I am not interested much at all in "Homicide" but, have been reading it a bit just the same to fend off the boredom.  There is a really awesome 3 level rooftop terrace to do yoga & of course, READ on.  The sea is supposedly 2km away but I have tried 3 times to walk there & have never made it due to houses, gates, a highway...  tomorrow I will borrow a bicycle & actually make it there.

My new Japanese friend is really sweet but pretty quiet.  I'm sure I've been frightening her by asking so many questions, I have been starved for some convo!  My hosts had been rather chilly to me for a while but in the past couple days have really warmed up.  Last night we had some limoncello, tonight... we even played cards.  Almost like we were actually having fun!  Just kidding, we were.

We have been eating a lot of really yummy foods too!  They keep the kitchen locked at night & until they get up in the am, strange but understandable when you consider they run an agritourismo.  Well, me with my food anxiety (not being able to access food when I need it) am very nervous about this locked kitchen.  For this reason I really try to stuff myself at mealtimes.  They have very strange eating hours, today we had lunch at around 4 and dinner at 10:30!  Luckily there are some fruit trees nearby (nespola) & I have found myself eating these tasty fruits in times of hunger fear.

For work I've been doing some gardening and tree pruning (olive and pomegranate); today we began painting a foul smelling organic fungicide on the trunks of all the smaller olive trees.  Then we sat in the "yard" & picked camomile blossoms.  Overall, I am enjoying myself a lot!

Here is a map of my general location, Carovigno.  The heel of the boot:


I hope to find a new camera cable, sorry this posting has been lackluster.  Just a simple bit of information.  :)

xoxo
Anni

2 comments:

  1. Anni, Anni,

    I am fearing the kitchen lock down for you. It sounds scary. Glad to hear you are fitting in all the classics, Homicide etc. sounds almost as good as the the florentine detective.

    Bummer about your cord, hopefully, they will have one in montenegro for ya.

    love the blog and love you,
    Kel

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Anni - I'm so sorry to hear about your camera cord. I LOVE your pics! Bummer. Did I tell you that I read that other Johnathan Franzen novel you recommended - Freedom? It was soooo good! Expecially since much of the story took place in the Ramsey Hill area of St. Paul where I lived the first 6 yrs of my life. Glad to hear things are good with you - aside from the locking of the kitchen at night and the missing camera cord. Looking forward to reading your next blog! XOXO Jasmin

    ReplyDelete